Odors produced by growing cannabis can be difficult to manage. Created by the plant’s essential oils, some odors from cannabis farms have been detected more than a mile from their source.
With the legalization of recreational marijuana in many states, growing concerns are being expressed from neighbors and neighboring businesses regarding these odors. Complaints of cannabis odors have even increased by as much as 87% in some areas since growing marijuana became legal. Local governments and clean air agencies are now enacting laws and issuing fines (sometimes for tens of thousands of dollars) to limit odors.
Odor Control Challenges
Finding an effective odor removal method can be challenging. Cannabis growers are faced with the below factors, which make many generic odor control solutions a non-option:
- Most municipalities now restrict how commercial cannabis grow operations handle odors, limiting the number of options (for example, large-scale ventilation systems that pump untreated air outdoors are prohibited in some urban areas)
- Industrial filtration systems can be costly to install, operate and maintain
- Enclosing a greenhouse to prevent odor can cause overheating and harmful rising of humidity
- Some odor control solutions require the use of water to distribute, adding additional costs and equipment (especially in areas of water conservation)
- Multiple partners are often needed for equipment, materials, setup and maintenance
A Plant-Based Solution Formulated Specifically for Cannabis
Ecosorb® CNB 100 from OMI is a natural odor remover that was formulated to specifically control odors in cannabis. The product’s blend of purified water, surfactant and natural plant oils eliminates odor-causing chemical compounds in cannabis, including cannabinoids, terpenes and sesquiterpenes.
CNB 100 does not contain harsh chemicals or synthetic fragrances. It is non-toxic, non-harzardous, biodegradable and doesn’t contain harmful VOCs, which means it is safe to use around people and animals.
Non-Invasive Dispersion System
OMI manufactures dispersion equipment for CNB 100 using vapor phase technology, which requires no added water. Distribution systems are placed where exhaust exits the growing facility, eliminating odors before they leave the building and become a nuisance for neighbors in the surrounding area. However, CNB 100 can also be delivered through misting systems from other manufacturers. OMI’s team of odor control experts will work directly with your team to determine the best solution for your individual facility, which can include weatherproofed systems, modular greenhouse systems, automated controls, complete integration with existing systems and even custom blends.
For more information on how to implement Ecosorb CNB 100 at your growing facility, click here.